We waited a couple of days, just to make sure that we could really dine indoors at a restaurant. It is amazing that California, Illinois, New York and Michigan almost announced that dining indoors was legal at the same time. It was no longer life threatening for me to have dinner with my Bride or to have a meal with friends. It is a miracle. Saints be praised. Of course, seating capacity at least here in Michigan is down to 25%, because God forbid a small business can still try to make a profit. I guess they were having problems explaining the science that food from a food court in a major attended box store or mall was safe to consume, but that food from a small meticulously clean small restaurant was not. I guess future scientists and scholars will have to explain that. Since, we now have less people working, it is safer to open up the restaurants, and for us, it has been almost three months since the last lockdown. “Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose.”
We went out to celebrate at one of our favorite local independent restaurants that has been basically open about the same time that we got married and bought our house. We went to Rocky’s of Northville, that was originally “Northville Charley’s” under the guidance of the Corporate Executive Chef of the C.A. Muer Restaurant Corporation and there are still some under that umbrella, even after the sad and mysterious death at sea of “Chuck” Muer. Charles “Rocky” Rachwitz was that chef and he, as an esteemed protegee to Mr. Muer, helped “Rocky” get his restaurant. The restaurant still looks and feels like it should be on a lake in Northern Michigan, and the food after twenty-five some-odd years is still great. I am also proud to say that my Bride even tried something new for her first night out in ages. We both opted to have the spectacular Black Bean Soup, instead of a salad before dinner, and a bowl of it with the house made bread is really a meal of its own. My Bride had the Chipotle Honey Glazed Salmon with Pineapple Salsa, Basmati Rice and Asparagus; and when she looked at the size of her entrée, she requested a carry-out box immediately, as the portion was huge. I should have done the same, though my entrée did not look as intimidating at first, and I did finish it, because it would have been a shame, but I could have happily survived with half of it, for another meal. I had the Pesto Pan Roast of Sea Scallops, Gulf Shrimp, Artichokes, Sundried Tomatoes in a Creamy Pesto Sauce on Fettucine. We were both in heaven, and we really didn’t realize how much we missed dining out, even with my Bride being excellent in the kitchen.
I was all set to get something that I thought would be interesting for both of our dishes, she jumped the gun and wanted a split of bubbly. So rather than get our poor waitress in the middle of a wine discussion, she got a split of Mionetto Prosecco de Treviso DOC Brut NV. Prosecco de Treviso DOC is a relatively new designation from 2009 for the Treviso province in Veneto in North East Italy. To get this designation the wine must be made from at least 85% Glera or Prosecco grapes. The other 15% can be Verdiso, Bianchetta, Trevigiana, Perera, Glera Lunga, Chardonnay, Pinot Blanco and/or Pinot Nero. I really didn’t want to order a bottle of wine, since we have several partially opened bottles already at home, so I found a split that I would be happy with, and in case the Prosecco dried up. I chose a split of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2018. Kim Crawford is probably the most recognized wine producer from New Zealand and its Sauvignon Blanc is the most popular wine from New Zealand sold in the United States of America. Kim Crawford began in 1996 in Auckland and built a state-of-the-art facility in Marlborough in 2000. In 2003 the brand was sold to the Canadian firm Vincor and the following year Vincor was acquired by Constellation Brands. Kim Crawford was also one of the first in New Zealand to produce an unoaked Chardonnay. Marlborough is the most important wine region in New Zealand and Sauvignon Blanc account for almost eighty percent of the production. The wine is very fruity with a nose promising passion fruit, melons and some spice, with a taste of fresh fruit and acidity and a pleasant finish that kind of beckons another glassful.